GABF | DMV Takeaways
This post was written in conjunction with Erin Russell (Petrey).
The DMV should be proud of its representation at the Great American Beer Festival this year. There will be 27 breweries pouring from the District, Maryland and Virginia in Denver this October, and there’s plenty to brag about.
- Two breweries are from the District itself: Atlas Brew Works and DC Brau Brewing Company. Considering DC Brau only began brewing and distributing beer in DC in 2011 (breaking a District-wide brewing dry spell since 1956), this makes the District even more of a notable East Coast beer destination. One newcomer (they opened for business this month!), Denizens Brewing Company, is located in Silver Spring, Md. about two blocks from the DC-MD line.
- The Virginia showing ranges from local powerhouses, like Mad Fox Brewing Company and Devils Backbone Brewing Company, to smaller, more experimental establishments, like Adroit Theory Brewing.
- Both Baltimore and Charlottesville have three breweries heading to GABF; Richmond can count two.
- Don’t confuse Frederick, Md., with Fredericksburg, Va. The former is home to the well-known Flying Dog Brewery and the latter to Battlefield Brewery, a microbrewery and pub.
- DC is also making an appearance in this year’s Farm to Table Pavilion, which pairs notable chefs with smaller scale brewers from across the country to showcase the art of pairing craft beer with food. Mike Friedman of Bloomingdale’s hit “modern comfort food” and Italian-inspired restaurant, The Red Hen, will be preparing small plates alongside Farm to Table Pavilion exclusive brews.
PorchDrinking will provide more analysis of these local establishments heading to Colorado, but here’s some past coverage:
And here’s the full list of DC-, Maryland- and Virginia-based participating breweries, organized by city name:
Port City Brewing Company: Alexandria VA
Blue Mountain Barrel House: Arrington VA
Lost Rhino Brewing Co.: Ashburn VA
Full Tilt Brewing: Baltimore MD
Heavy Seas Beer: Baltimore MD
Union Craft Brewing: Baltimore MD
Great American Restaurants: Centreville VA
Champion Brewing Company: Charlottesville VA
South Street Brewery: Charlottesville VA
Three Notch’d Brewing Co.: Charlottesville VA
Starr Hill Brewery: Crozet VA
Mad Fox Brewing Company: Falls Church VA
Apocalypse Ale Works: Forest VA
Flying Dog Brewery: Frederick MD
Battlefield Brewery: Fredericksburg VA
Lickinghole Creek Craft Brewery: Goochland VA
Jailbreak Brewing Company: Laurel MD
O’Connor Brewing Company, LLC: Norfolk VA
Adroit Theory Brewing: Purcellville VA
Hardywood Park Craft Brewery: Richmond VA
Strangeways Brewing: Richmond VA
Devils Backbone Brewing Company – Basecamp: Roseland VA
Parkway Brewing Co: Salem VA
Denizens Brewing Co: Silver Spring MD
Atlas Brew Works: Washington DC
DC Brau Brewing Company: Washington DC
AleWerks Brewing Co.: Williamsburg VA