2015 GABF Fantasy Brewery Results
We here at PorchDrinking believe beer should be fun. So two years ago we set out to add a different take on the Great American Beer Festival by inviting a mix of national and local writers to participate in our GABF Fantasy Brewery Draft. Each year we draft breweries based on how we believe they’ll finish during GABF awards ceremony and earn points based on those finishes.
During the inaugural year, PorchDrinking took home the gold, last year Brewtally Insane took first narrowly edging out Mike Snider of USA Today, who also did a wonderful write up of our draft. But this year the field was out for blood. We had a few of the previous year’s participants come and go, but we also added a new host of new talent to join our familiar friends. After a grueling awards ceremony the results of this year’s competition are as follows:
This year’s live draft took place at World of Beer LoDo. A big thanks to World of Beer LoDo who sponsored this year’s draft. Be sure to stop by for their weekly beer schools and their killer lineup of rare and local taps.
- Tom Rotunno, Senior Editor, CNBC – 75 points
- Kyle Clark – 9News – 38 points & Chris Bruns, Contributor to Denver Off the Wagon – 38 points
- Mark Slattery , Founder, Denver Beer Guy – 36 points
- The Ladies, Co-Founders of Bitch Beer – 33
- Jonathan Shikes, Managing Editor of Westword Magazine – 27
- Eric Gorski, Former Staff Writer and Beer Blogger for the Denver Post -22 &Ryan Hannigan – Focus on the Beer -22
- Mark and Patti Robinson, Founders of Brewtally Insane – 14
- Frances Lopez – The Full Pint – 11
- Brian Devine – The Roaming Pint / CraftBeer.com -10
- Tristan Chan, Founder, PorchDrinking.com – 9
- Mike Snider, Tech and Beer Reporter, USA Today – 5
- Chelsea Mitchell, Founder, Drink and Spoon – 0
Initially it was looking like Chris Bruns would manage to win the entire competition without winning one of the major brewery / brewpub of the year categories with the help of Fat Head’s Brewery’s many locations, however Tom Rotunno buoyed by Firestone Walker’s commanding performance along with TAPS Fish House helped him to run away with the competition.
Kyle Clark started slow, but finished well behind Left Hand and Port City’s strong performances. Kyle and Chris Bruns ended up tying for second. And while Mike Snider had a great freshmen debut he finished second to last this year much like the sophomore slump (and subsequent 3rd year slump we experienced again this year). However Chelsea Mitchell blew away the entire field with her Nil-a-Waffer finish of ZERO points. She might have to be be demoted to the minors after that skunk (just kidding Chelsea) better luck next year!
The draft ran like any other fantasy sports snake-style draft would with the last pick of the first round receiving the first pick of the second round.
Our participants scored points based on how their breweries medaled during the actual competition. Please note that beers in the Great American Beer Festival are judged based on their style guidelines. Here’s how participants scored points:
1 point for Bronze
3 points for Silver
5 points for Gold
20 points for Brewery and Brewmaster of the Year for a Brewing Company (regardless of size)
15 points for Brewery and Brewmaster of the Year for a Brew Pub (regardless of size)