Fast Facts on Surly Brewing’s First-Ever Variety Pack
Coming off a strong 2017, Minnesota’s Surly Brewing is betting on its growing momentum with the release of an ambitious 2018 release calendar. Along with two new year-round offerings, Hopshifter IPA and +1 Golden Ale, Surly also intends to appeal to the curiosity of the average craft beer drinker with their new Innovation Series, which will feature the likes of Damien and Furious Black in tall boys, and the announcement of their first-ever Variety Pack. The Variety Pack has become a popular format for other large Midwest brewers like Revolution and Summit, so it makes sense that Surly would dip their toes into this popular packaging venue. Here are the details.
Surly Variety Pack
- Overview: The variety 12-pack will feature four Surly beers. Nine cans will be devoted to Surly favorites: Furious, Hell and Xtra-Citra, with the remaining three devoted to a wildcard option that is sure to appeal to consumers who are obsessed with “what’s new.” The first iteration is their White Walker-esque 60 Below Rye IPA.
- 60 Below Rye IPA: Per Surly, 60 Below is aptly named after the lowest recorded temperature in Minnesota history and will feature a huge amount of experimental hops. Drinkers should also expect notes of candied grape, orange, and vanilla cream, a deep rye finish, and a 6.5% ABV.
- Availability: The first variety packs will hit shelves the week of February 19.
- Distribution: This new package format should be available across Surly’s large distribution footprint, but I expect you’ll see this first in their primary Minnesota and Chicago markets.
- Pricing: TBD but I’m guessing $15.99 – $17.99 based on their other 12-pack prices.
- What’s Next: After the first variety packs meets the embrace of consumers, Surly plans to release three other variety packs throughout the year, with each new issue featuring one (or two?) new wildcard beers from Surly.
Are you interested in checking this new pack out? Let me know in the comments below. Cheers!
Feature image courtesy of Surly Brewing